Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Augmented body : Ideas

For this photoshop project we were instructed to augment our bodies in some way or form.


1) I could add several popular Cholo (mexican gangster) tattoos to my body and modify my eyebrows to resemble a chola.
Growing up in southern california I became aware of the Cholo (mexican gang member) subculture. It was one that my parents restricted us from and school frowned upon. Now, I never wanted to be a Chola, but it always fascinated me how they chose a very specific way of dressing, makeup, heavily identified with their latin culture, and many donned religious memorabilia/tattoos. Also, with this heavy latino identity they still seemed to need to be part of a subgroup of people who dressed, talked, listened to the same music and carried themselves in a defensive manner as a group.



Chola from the film Mi Vida Loca

I remember many took different names, a sort of moniker for their subculture persona. Above you see an example of a girl with her Chola name tattooed on her fists. 




I've also noticed many celebrities borrowing the Cholo aesthetic/clothing/language/attitude for performances, music videos, or just as a style choice. This has made it easier for the Cholo aesthetic, as a whole and in small doses,  to be adopted and recognized by mainstream popular culture. 













No comments:

Post a Comment