Sunday, March 2, 2014

Chiquito Banana


For my culture jam project I decided to use the Chiquita Banana logo. I decided to change the logo's design in order to alter its meaning. I first exchanged the iconic exotic and feminine woman in a tutti frutti costume for a man. I tried to make this man appear more masculine by ditching the idea of a dance costume, adding buff arms, thickening his eyebrows, and adding a healthy thick mustache. I pretty much tried to make him tall, dark, and handsome. 

I also softened the Chiquita letters so that they would juxtapose the masculine male ( just as the rigid text lines juxtapose against the feminine woman in the original). The Chiquita, which is the feminine term for little one, was changed for Chiquito, making it masculine. 

I wanted this piece to reference gender roles and the gender expectations/ideals that we are taught as a culture to uphold or reproduce. In my opinion, these guidelines for being a man/ woman are dated and should no longer apply. That's why I also added the words below the logo, to create a sort of advertisement that could be interpreted in several ways including male penis size, big vs small business, gmo vs no gmo etc.




No comments:

Post a Comment